Safaricom Launches “Masaa Ya SMS”
Safaricom has this weekend unveiled another product (not a promotion) to maintain its grip on the sms market.
Under the new tariff plan dubbed Masaa ya SMS, the listed giant’s 16 million-plus subscribers will be able to send text messages for as low as 20 cents each depending on the bundle they will choose. This is the lowest charge for a text message in the Kenyan market currently and will be enjoyed by the firm’s PrePay and PostPay customers alike.
The innovative plan, launched under the tagline “Say more for less permanently, on the Better Option,” allows subscribers to send text messages within the expansive Safaricom network at the lowest rates, depending on what SMS bundle one selects.
A bundle of 100 SMS will be available at Sh20, which denotes a unit price of 20 cents per message sent. Subscribers will be able to buy some 20 text messages for Sh10, translating into 50 cents per text message, while the last bundle, for Sh5, will afford one five SMS, meaning a unit price of Sh1 each.
Previous, Safaricom charged a uniform rate of Sh3.50 for SMS.
How Masaa Ya SMS works;
1. Dial *188# and wait for response
2. Follow prompts and reply with the data bundle of your choice
3. Get texting
4. Bundles are valid for 24 hours and will be renewed automatically upon expiry
5. The bundles are valid for Safaricom to Safaricom texts only
6. Tariff is applicable for both PrePay and PostPay customers
7. To unsubscribe, dial *188# and follow prompts
Safaricom is also reported to have constituted a team to lookout for firms in the data market for possible buyouts.