Safaricom Awards App Challenge Winner Get Ksh 1 million
Safaricom has tonight presented Kshs 1 million to Gerald Kibugi as the overall winner in the recently concluded Appstar Challenge. Gerald won for his game “Tough Jungle” while Gilbert Rono’s Education App dubbed “Eureka” took the runners-up position.
In addition to winning the prize kitty of Shs. 1 million and Shs. 500,000 respectively, the two will present their Apps at the Vodafone Innovation Apps Challenge in South Africa, where they will compete with the developers of the best two Apps from Tanzania, Lesotho, South Africa, Egypt and Qatar.
Commenting on the challenge, Safaricom’s Executive Business Analyst Nicholas Mulila said, “Kenya registered 894 submissions, out of which we got a total of 215 Apps that were submitted in the six categories of this App-Star challenge- the highest number entered in the challenge.”
The winners of the Appstar Challenge are:
Grand Prize and Runner up
1. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Gerald Kibugi – Grand Prize Winner – Tough Jungle
2. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Gilbert Rono – Runner Up – Eureka
1. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Thomas Kioko – Best Productivity and Utilities App-Nduru
2. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Marcel Ogweno – Best Health App – Mimba Bora
3. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Gerald Kibugi – Best Game App – Tough Jungle
4. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Gordon Owiti – Best Agriculture App – M-Shamba
5. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Gilbert Rono – Best Education App – Eureka
6. Safaricom Appstar Challenge – Vincent Maraba – Best Financial Inclusion App – Pesa Tracker